giovedì 10 maggio 2012

My thoughts about #Delena and the #TVDS3 Finale

Screenshot by Wikipedia
There have been a LOT of speculations going around these days about the S3 finale of TVD.
And when I say 'a lot', I DO mean a lot. There have been enough speculations to drive everyone crazy, and honestly I got really really close. This is why I'm writing this post right now, because I need to let my thoughts flow or I'll definitely go crazy before the finale airs tonight.
I don't really know where this post is going... I'm just writing down my thoughts as they come into my mind.
Hopefully I won't make too many mistakes... I'm not a native English speaker, so bear with me. ;-)

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE FINALE!
Don't read it if you managed to avoid producers' and cast's interviews.


1 • WHAT WE KNOW UP TO NOW
Most speculations I found on Twitter (that's a very bad place if you want to avoid spoilers, but I really can't stay away from there) were obviously about Elena's choice between Damon and Stefan (no need to say who I root for, right?) and also about the chance that she might turn or not.
Lately both producers and cast released a lot of confusing (and maybe also a bit misleading) interviews about what to expect from the TVD S3 finale. We know for sure that someone will die... but WHO? How many? Is it some Originals? Someone that's been with us since S1? We don't know, but the thought alone is scary enough.
We know that a couple of main characters will risk their lives and will come out on the other side a bit "changed"... but changed HOW? And who will it be? Someone will turn? Too many people did in S3. Someone will become evil? Please, no. Alaric is enough. Some vampire will become human? I don't think I'd like it. What else could happen? I don't have the faintest idea. Like I said before, some of these spoilers are actually confusing.
We know that we'll get some flashbacks from Elena's past before her parents died, when she was still dating Matt Donovan and her life was vampire-free. These flashbacks might (or might not?) influence Elena's choice and they'll most likely reveal something unexpected. Curiosity is killing me.
But above all we know is that whatever happens in the S3 finale will change TVD forever... and this is the scariest thought of them all.

2 • ABOUT ELENA'S UPCOMING CHOICE
This is one other thing we know for sure: Elena WILL make a choice between Damon and Stefan. Executive producer Julie Plec stated more than once that YES she will make a choice and YES it will be between the two Salvatore brothers. So all the "she chooses neither" and "she chooses Matt" speculations SEEM to be out of option.
And here comes the eternal ship-war between #Delena and #Stelena fans... it's a wearying thing, honestly.
But spoilers on this subject are very confusing and misleading as well. Speculations on the same topic are even worse.
We know for sure that there's going be (at least) one VERY EMOTIONAL DELENA scene. Both Ian Somerhalder (Damon) and Nancy Forner (TVD editor) confirmed that, so no doubt about it. BUT among the clips and stills released by The CW, there's nothing about Delena. Just Elena's flashbacks and mostly Stelena scenes. And since yesterday we also know that the Salvatore brother that Elena will kiss is 99% Stefan. All this could either scream "she chooses Stefan" OR "she chooses Damon"... so once again, very confusing spoilers. Could the producers make it so obvious that she's going to choose Stefan by releasing all these Stelena spoilers? Or could it be the exact contrary? That since no Delena spoilers were released, it means that the Delena scene is very important in the finale because she's going to choose Damon?
Honestly, I find BOTH possible right now. I mean, what if they've released all these Stelena spoilers just to make us DErs believe that it's going to be Damon, when it's actually not? I expect EVERYTHING from the writers right now... they've slapped us DErs so many times that I've lost the count. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to shove Stelena down our sore throats once again. They're still trying to do the same with Defan, anyway, and I'm NOT buying any of it. Defan DOESN'T exist. It's the lamest bromance ever and it's FAKE. But let's get back to Elena's choice.

I don't have the faintest idea who she's going to choose. But at this point I'm not sure I really care about it. I mean, I AM and I will ALWAYS be a die-hard Delena shipper, and I'll ship Damon&Elena till the end of time... but this "triangle" thing is starting to bore me to death. Mostly because there's NO actual triangle. For 2 seasons and a half it's ALWAYS been Stefan, while they used Damon from time to time just to tease Delena without actually giving it a REAL chance. Except for the "hot & heavy" kiss in "Heart of Darkness" (3x19), but then it was just like it never happened in the following episodes... "what happens in Denver stays in Denver" must have been the writers' motto. Of course they were too busy killing off Alaric and turning him into a deadly vampire hunter to even bother giving a continuity to the DE kiss thing. "Let's just put it off until the finale". Yes, I don't like the way they're handling it.
And I don't like the fact that Julie Plec said that Elena's NOT the one in COMPLETE CONTROL of her choice. WHAT THE HECK WOULD THAT EVEN MEAN? She will be forced to choose one brother over the other? How? Why? We all know that this is NOT going to be her ULTIMATE choice, but just A choice. So whoever she chooses now, she might go back to the other Salvatore during the next season(s). But why can't it JUST be her OWN choice? Why do they need to put her in a condition where she probably (and I say probably) will be kind of forced to make the choice she's going to make? It would let me down IF this will be the context where she finally chooses Damon (even if most likely not for good). Heck, it would kinda piss me off, actually. Or maybe I'm all wrong and it's gonna make perfect sense while watching the episode... I don't know.
A LOT of crazy stuff is going to happen that's probably going to overcome Elena's choice, so... maybe I'm freaking out for NO reason.

3 • MY FEARS FOR DELENA
But there's something else that scares me out. I come from a LOT of "doomed" ships from other shows, like Spuffy (BtVS), Skater (LOST), LoVe (VMars), etc. and I've read the tale. I DO fear that they might RUIN #Delena if they bring it too soon. Damon & Elena have a VERY complicated relationship and it's not easy to handle. I'm really grateful for the fact that I'm not one of the TVD writers because honestly I wouldn't know where to start if I were to make Delena (and thus the triangle) happen on the show. Stelena is quite an easy thing... just make them exchange a few glances, hugs, some smooching and lines about how epic and true and pure their love is, add some rainbows and unicorns here and there and a heartbreaking song in the background and basically that's almost everything they need to exist.
Delena is different. There's so much more than meets the eye in their relationship that cannot be resumed with the word "love". It's a lot more complex. They used to hate each other, now they've earned each other's trust. They were like enemies, now they've become a team. They might still fight and hurt each other, but eventually they always find their way back to each other. They have an understanding. They have chemistry. They have complicity. They're always honest with each other, even when it might hurt to be honest. Damon never hid what he was, but he still tried to be the better man for her. Elena knew from the beginning what Damon was, but she still managed to believe in him and to see the good in him while NO ONE else does. Because they're connected. They will NEVER be all "rainbows and unicorns", for sure, but that's what I like about them. Eternal 'epic' love that lives happily ever after is for fairytales. Real love has bumps in the road. It hurts. It makes you happy. It makes you angry. But it also makes you feel alive. That's Delena.

Stelena is static. In three seasons they've gone NOWHERE. It's like they're still stuck in their first glance.
Delena has gone through a huge build-up that's started on episode 1x02 and has not come to an end yet. Their relationship has grown. THEY have grown as individuals. After 3 seasons Stefan is still stuck in his self-loathing issues, and he NEEDS to get over it in order to grow as a character. And he's preventing Elena's personal growth too. Everytime she's with him she instantly goes back to insecure S1-Elena. She's NOT insecure at all. She's STRONGER now. Even Stefan noticed it and said it out loud to her in "The Ties That Bind" (3x12). She had the chance to grow stronger while Stefan was away trying to make hybrids with Klaus. Now that Stefan's back he's holding her back once again... we've seen it in "Dangerous Liaisons" (3x14) and "Do Not Go Gentle" (3x20) just to mention a couple of episodes.
On the other hand Damon & Elena have had a very long journey, and they've definitely not reached their destination yet. They are still growing. They will keep on growing. Because they're a constant challenge for each other. And I value their relationship so much... I would NEVER want to see it ruined. I would NEVER want something like BtVS season 6 for Delena. That really let down my Spuffy soul, and I couldn't stand to see it happen again for Damon & Elena.
If they're EVER going to make Delena happen on TVD (along with Stelena, YES, I know it's a f*cking love triangle) I hope they won't end up ruining 3 seasons of flawless build-up, because that's something I'm not willing to put up with.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

I commenti a questo Blog sono moderati. L'amministratore si riserva il diritto di cancellare senza preavviso commenti considerati offensivi o a scopo di spam.